Thursday, June 13, 2013

My Take On The Abercrombie Situation

I guess I am a little late commenting on this subject, but people still keep bringing it up and I have to say something about it. I don't understand why people have to have so much beef with Abercrombie & Fitch. They are a business just like any other business out there in the world, and they have the freedom to sell what they want, just like any other company. I am not just an outsider looking in, because I have worked for the company since 2010 and I am telling you right now, they are a great company to work for.

First of all, just applying for a job with the company you get to CHOOSE when your interview is, which most companies don't. Then once you get offered a job there, you get to make your own hours. In the computer system, you can actually block out certain days in the week or block out certain times in a particular day that you cannot work, and the manager of the store can't schedule you for those times. I have worked for other companies where you will tell them you can't work a specific day, and they still put you on to work that day. At A&F, if you block out that day/time, then you are not going to work it. A&F is one of the most flexible jobs ever. You can literally work as many, or as little hours as you want. During "floor sets" which happens a few times a year when the whole store gets updated, you have the opportunity for tons of hours, even over time, which many companies out there will not give their employees. A&F is all over the country and the world, so when someone needs to move away for school, or other reasons, you can easily transfer to another store, and that whole process happens right over the phone within minutes.

I just gave you numerous reasons why working for the company is so great, and a lot of those reasons centered around the fact that the company gives their employees CHOICES and FREEDOM. A company like A&F that believes in freedom and letting their employees have power also translates into their company philosophy, of having the FREEDOM TO SELL WHAT THEY WANT. Just like a restaurant can choose to not serve a customer, or sell apple pie instead of key lime pie, A&F can sell smaller clothes and not bigger clothes if they so choose.

I love to shop at American Eagle Outfitters, except whenever I try on pants there, they are always way too long on me. I am only 5' 2", and my legs are pretty short which makes finding pants that are the right length for me, very very hard. I really want to be able to buy pants from American Eagle because they have a nice cut to them and I love the brand, but they just don't make pants that are short enough for me. Yeah, I complain about it to my friends, because it's a total bummer that I have to shop elsewhere for my pants, but you don't see me taking action against the company for it. If they don't want to cater towards girls who have short legs like me, THEN THEY DON'T HAVE TO.

Torrid is a store in the mall close to my house. Every time I walk by the store, I always see that they have great items in there and I would love to go inside and even take a look. The only problem is, Torrid is a plus size store, and they don't make clothes there small enough for me. I actually really like some of the clothes they sell there, but I can't shop there because my frame is too small for any of the clothes there. I can easily complain to the company about how they need to make smaller clothes so that I can shop there, but Torrid is a business and they have the freedom to sell whatever they want, and if they don't want to sell clothes small enough for me to fit into, THEN THEY DON'T HAVE TO.

It really gets me heated that people are getting so mad at the A&F CEO for saying how he only wants certain groups of people shopping at his company. He has the freedom to say that, because A&F is his company. People get mad at A&F for not selling clothes big enough, yet they don't get mad at Torrid for not selling clothes small enough. For some reason people are so damn sensitive now a days. CHILL OUT. You know, there are only about a million clothing companies out there in the world, and just because ONE COMPANY doesn't sell clothes that fit you correctly, you have to go after them? Please, everyone just needs to take a chill pill. You have a problem with A&F, good, shop somewhere else. If you think making a buzz about how much A&F apparently sucks, you aren't going to hurt their business. A&F is an INTERNATIONAL COMPANY. The USA is pretty much the only country in the world that has such a high percentage of overweight people, hence, the USA is the only country in the world where people have trouble fitting into their clothes. Everywhere else in the world people are shopping there, and in the USA, the people who can fit into the clothes are still shopping there. Yeah, people probably hate the CEO of A&F, but that isn't going to stop them from shopping there to get their back to school styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment